Moving Forward

It's been a while....life has gotten in the way.

Chronic illness, two moves, childrens' needs, extracurriculars, and LIFE.

It's amazing how it will eat you alive if you allow it to, if you don't tell it "no...you cannot do that."

For two years, roughly, I've done just that. I've let it consume me, chew me up, and spit me out like a piece of fat.  It hasn't been easy, and there are certainly people who have greater struggles than our own, but suffice it to say, I had to stand up and say, "No. You cannot do that. Enough is enough."

We have said no to many things. We've said no to:

-competitive dance team for my daughter. She likes dancing, but doesn't love it. And if you don't LOVE it, I won't force you to keep doing it. Especially considering this year, we were looking at a weekly commitment of 3-4 nights of practices at 2+ hours a pop each. She was upset at first, but since summer has begun, she's had the chance to try new activities and hobbies - things she previously couldn't do because we were always running to the studio. Someday, she might go back to dancing. Someday, she might not. It's her choice.


-volunteering. At this point in our lives, we have our volunteer positions and loves. We can't help out any more than we already are without sacrificing time at home, and together.


-expensive get togethers and vacations with family and friends. We simply do not have it in our budget right now to spend $400+ on a weekend away, as fun as it could be! Those funds are unfortunately allocated to paying some student loan debt down, and funding insulin when our insurance (once again!) refuses to cover it for our son.


- people who do not love us for us. This last year has been a year of growth. We have our principles, we have our needs. If someone cannot love us in spite of differences we may have, then perhaps it is best they aren't part of our lives. We are okay with that; God bless them, that's okay! We are all different, and that is just the way it is meant to be.


But in all this negativity, this NO season, there are so many yes's to be said.

We say YES to:


-frugal living. Why spend $36 on one shirt when that $36 will get us three shirts, two pairs of pants, and a skirt that we LOVE from the local "Store Tags Still Attached" rack at our local thrift shop?

-exercise. I'm a runner. And while I don't really love paying to run a race, I do love to log the miles!


-music. As a musician, I'm getting back to playing with my local symphony. One night a week will not kill the calendar! My kids both take music lessons as well. It speaks to our souls.


-frugal, healthy eating. In the coming days, weeks, and months, I'll be doing frugal cooking posts as I learn to improve my camera skills. You can eat well, and still live within your means!

-reading. Both of my children have discovered book series they love in the past few weeks and months. My husband is still reading a fantastic book on military strategy during a key battle of the Civil War. And me? I'm polybiblious as ever - I'll be posting a reading list, hopefully weekly!




In all of this, I hope to transform this blog. I hope to provide a breath of fresh air if you've stumbled upon my little corner of the Web, and I hope to be "...a candle in the darkness" to you if you are struggling.

Read on.This Nerdy Mom is out for now. Peace!

Comments

Popular Posts